Please complete the following application and upload your resume as a PDF. Applications without a resume will NOT be considered.
If you would like to select multiple options under a drop down menu, press “Control” while making your selections.
* Indicates required field
* First Name
* Last Name
* Email (non-school email)
* What university/college are you from?
* Have you attended a community college?–None–YesNo
* What is your major/program?
* Which track(s) are you applying for?:Applied Research and Policy TrackLearn Organizing Skills Track
If you’re applying to both tracks, which is your first choice?–None–Applied Research and Policy TrackLearn Organizing Skills Track
We provide meals during orientation week. Please specify any dietary restrictions or allergies you may have.
Will you need any special accommodations to participate in the program?
* How did you hear about Labor Summer:–None–Labor Summer AlumProfessorAdvisorOrganizationClass AnnouncementFriendWebsiteInstagramFacebookFlyerCareer Center on CampusOther
Please help us understand how we are doing on equity and inclusion in our outreach. Filling this out will not impact your acceptance into our program. Labor Summer welcomes participation from people of all races, ethnicities, national origins, and gender identities.
Gender Options:Cis ManCis WomanTransgender ManTransgender WomanGender non-conforming/non-binary
Race:Asian/Asian AmericanBlack/African AmericanCaucasian/WhiteNative AmericanLatina/o/ePacific IslanderOther
If you selected other, please fill in your race here:
Are you an Immigrant:–None–YesNo
If yes, what country are you from?
Are you a DACA recipient?:–None–YesNo
Are you a first generation college student?:–None–YesNo
Have you been impacted by mass incarceration and/or the foster care system?–None–YesNo
* Are you bilingual or multilingual?:–None–YesNo
Language 1 (please include any indigenous languages, like Triqui, Mam, or Mixtec)
Language 1 Skill Level:–None–NativeFluentRead & WriteConversational (Speaking & Listening)
Language 2 Skill Level:–None–NativeFluentRead & WriteConversational (Speaking & Listening)
If you speak additional languages, please specify here
* What is your current academic level?
* Rising Junior, Senior or Grad Student:–None–Rising JuniorRising SeniorGraduating SeniorGrad Student
* What term do you anticipate graduating? (i.e. Spring 2023)
* Are you currently enrolled in classes, or will you be enrolled in classes in fall 2022?–None–YesNo
* Will this internship fulfill any academic or program requirements? If yes, please describe.
* Because of the nature of the intensive programming, we discourage other commitments during the summer. Do you have any time constraints (summer classes, a part-time job) that would prevent you from committing 40 hours per week to the internship program over the summer?–None–YesNo
* Will you be looking for full-time employment after the internship?–None–YesNo
* If given the opportunity, are you interested in continuing this internship beyond the required 8-weeks?–None–YesNo
* Will you be at least 18 years old by May 20, 2022?–None–YesNo
* Where Will You be Living this summer?–None–San FranciscoEast BayNorth Bay (i.e. Santa Rosa, Sonoma, etc.)San Jose areaSacramento areaSanta Cruz areaNorth Valley (i.e. Modesto, Merced, Stockton, etc.)Central Valley (i.e. Fresno)Other
If you selected other, please tell us where you’ll be living:
* Would you be willing to relocate if your placement site is too far to commute and requires in-person work?–None–YesNo
* Do you have access to a car that you could use for the internship if needed?–None–YesNo
* Do you have a valid driver’s license?–None–YesNo
* We are planning for an in-person program. However, in the event that we must be remote or do a hybrid program, do you have access to stable wifi, a computer, and a phone for the duration of the summer?–None–YesNo
Please upload your resume. Applications without a resume will NOT be considered.
Please answer the following short answer questions. We recommend your responses be 250-500 words each.
* What motivated you to apply to this internship? Why do you think you are a good fit for the Labor Summer program?
* How does this internship fit into your future plans? How do you hope this internship will help your academic goals or career trajectory?
* Have you taken classes or studied with professors that have sparked your interest in learning more about the labor movement?–None–YesNo
Please tell us about the classes/professors that have inspired you:
* Have you had a job before?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe what your experience as a worker was like. What were the most common workplace issues that the majority of the workers faced?
* Have you, or anyone you know, been represented by a labor union or worked somewhere when workers tried to organize a union?–None–YesNo
If yes, please tell us about that.
* What role do you think unions play in society?
* Have you been involved with any organizing or activism, either on-campus or off-campus?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe your experience.
* Do you have any specific interests or skills you’d like to develop this summer?:
Have you planned an event? (Teach-in, rally, student group meeting, panel, etc).–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe the event, what your role was, what tasks you performed, and how the event turned out.
Have you recruited people to attend an event, take an action, sign a petition, etc?–None–YesNo
If yes, please explain how you approached the conversation and how you convinced the person to commit.
Do you have experience doing cold calls, phone banking, or door knocking?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe your experience with cold calls, etc.
Do you have experience with any these digital organizing software?:MobilizeSmartVANHustleSalesforceSocial media (Facebook/TikTok/Instagram)Design softwareExcel
Tell us about a research project you have worked on. Describe the project, your role, and the specific methods you used.
Do you have have experience doing legislative research and/or looking at governmental budgets?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe your legislative research or government budget experience:
Do you have experience using public, private, or academic databases (e.g. to locate information or pull data sets)?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe which databases you have used and how you have used them.
Do you have experience working with large datasets?:–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe a large data set you have worked with and the program(s) you used to manage it.
Do you have experience doing statistical analysis?–None–YesNo
If yes, please describe a project that you worked on and what type of statistical analysis you performed.
Please answer the following questions using this scale:
No Experience – I have never used the program
Beginner – I use the program rarely but would need guidance for basic operations
Intermediate – I use the program sometimes but would need guidance for advanced operations
Advanced – I use the program often and would need little/no guidance for advanced operations
Excel proficiency scale:–None–No ExperienceBeginnerIntermediateAdvanced
R proficiency scale:–None–No ExperienceBeginnerIntermediateAdvanced
SPSS proficiency scale:–None–No ExperienceBeginnerIntermediateAdvanced
STATA proficiency scale:–None–No ExperienceBeginnerIntermediateAdvanced